Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Difficulty: Medium - some experience needed
Serves: Makes 24
Dietary guidance: n d
2 onions, finely chopped
6 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon salt
750 g minced lamb (or beef)
Juice of half a lemon or lime
About half a cup of hot water
1 cup cooked frozen peas
1½ teaspoons garam masala
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
200 g ready rolled filo pastry (refrigerated or frozen)
1. Heat two tablespoons of oil in a pan and fry the onions, garlic and ginger until the onions are soft. Then add the turmeric, ground cumin, ground coriander and salt. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add the minced meat and the lemon or lime juice, stirring constantly. When the meat changes colour, add the hot water.
3. When it comes to a boil, lower the heat, cover and cook until the meat is tender. If there is any liquid left, turn up the heat and let it evaporate, stirring frequently.
4. Add the cooked peas, garam masala and fresh coriander. Stir. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F or gas mark 4).
5. Cut each sheet of filo pastry length-ways in two. Add heaped teaspoonful of the filling on one end and keep folding the pastry over diagonally, keeping a triangular shape. Moisten the ends with water or beaten egg and press lightly to seal. Keep going until you run out of filling.
6. Place on baking sheets and bake in the oven until the pastry is cooked (around 20 minutes).
Alternatively, you can deep fry until golden brown on all sides.
Serve hot or cold.