Difficulty: Difficult - for experienced cooks
* 2 ancho chiles, seeded
* 2 mulato chiles, seeded
* 1 pasilla chile, seeded
* 2 plum tomatoes
* 2 (6-inch) corn tortillas
* 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
* Cooking spray
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1 soft black plantain, cut into 1/4-inch slices
* 1/4 cup sliced almonds
* 4 garlic cloves, chopped
* 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1 1/4 cups water, divided
* 2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
* 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ancho, mulato, and pasilla chiles; cook 1 minute on each side. Place chiles in a medium bowl; cover with hot water. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes; drain.
While chiles soak in hot water, place tomatoes in pan, and cook 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove from pan. Add tortillas to pan, and cook 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until browned. Place drained chiles, tomatoes, tortillas, and broth in a blender; process until smooth.
Heat pan over medium-high heat. Coat the pan with cooking spray. Add chopped onion, and sauté for 3 minutes. Add plantain, and sauté for 3 minutes or until browned. Add almonds and garlic; sauté for 1 minute. Stir in unsweetened cocoa, cumin, cinnamon, and cloves; sauté 15 seconds. Place onion mixture and 1/4 cup water in blender with chile mixture; process until smooth.
Place chile mixture, 1 cup water, and chocolate in pan; cook over medium heat, partially covered, 18 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in lime juice and salt.