Difficulty: Medium - experience needed
Dietary guidance: n
- 2 cups flour (all purpose)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 sticks margarine
- 4 Tbs. cocoa
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs (slightly beaten w/ fork)
- 1 Tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tsp. vanilla
- 4 Tbs. margarine
- 2 Tbs. cocoa
- 3 Tbs. milk
- ¾ Tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2-3 cups powdered sugar
- Sift together flour and sugar, set aside.
- Bring to boil in saucepan: margarine, cocoa, and water. Mix until smooth.
- Pour cocoa mixture over flour and sugar. Add buttermilk, eggs, baking soda, cinnamon, and vanilla. Mix well until smooth - you don't want any chunks or lumps!
- Pour into greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Stick butter knife in center to see if done. If not done, turn down heat to 350 degrees, and bake another 5-10 minutes. Set cake aside and begin icing.
**NOTE: This cake also does well in a VERY WELL GREASED AND FLOURED bunt pan. Cooking time may need to be increased if cooking it that way. It definitely makes for a prettier cake, though. :) This is how I cooked the cake in the attached photo.**
- Bring margarine, cocoa, milk, and vanilla to boil in saucepan.
- Reduce heat to low. Add half box/bag of powdered sugar.
- Mix until smooth & remove from heat.
- Immediately poor icing over cake and let sit for 5 minutes.