Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Serves: 16 rolls
Dietary guidance: n
1 packet (2 1/4 tbs) dry active yeast
1/4 cup warm (NOT HOT) water
1 cup milk
3 tbsp butter
1 beaten egg
2 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups flour (bread flour recommended, all-purpose works, too)
1/2 tsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp butter, melted
(Add honey until desired "glaze" consistency.)
1. Empty packet of yeast into large mixing bowl, add 1/4 cup warm (NOT HOT, or you will kill the yeast) water and dissolve yeast with spatula. Set aside.
2. Add milk and butter to a bowl and microwave for about 1 minute - just until the butter is barely melting. Let it cool to warm before moving on to step 3.
3. Add milk and butter mixture to the yeast mixture and stir. Add egg, sugar, and salt and blend thoroughly.
4. Add 1 cup of flour and mix well. Add another cup of flour and mix well. Add one last cup of flour and mix well until a soft sticky dough is formed. It should be dry enough to scrape away from the sides of the bowl fairly cleanly.
4. Turn dough out onto a floured cutting board, or floured wax paper. Knead it for about 6-7 minutes using the half-turn method. (Fold it over itself half way, push it down with your palm and repeat.) Make sure your hands are floured. Only add flour to the dough if it becomes too sticky to knead.
5. Knead until you have a smooth and elastic ball of dough. Test it by pushing down on it with your index finger. If it springs back, its ready to rise. Form it into a nice smooth ball of dough, tucking the seams underneath.
6. In a large glass bowl, add the vegetable oil. Place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat evenly. Cover with a dish towel and let it rise in a warm spot until it doubles in size. It usually takes about an hour to an hour and a half. The longer the rising time the fluffier the rolls. :)
7. Spray a muffin pan (preferably 16 count regular size muffin pan) with cooking spray. Pinch off enough dough to roll into a ball about 1 inch in diameter. Stick it in one of the muffin slots. Repeat this process until you have 3 balls of dough in each muffin slot.
8. Cover with dish towel and let rise 30-45 minutes.
9. When rising time is down to 8 minutes, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt the butter and mix it with the honey to prepare the glaze.
10. Using a pastry brush/paint brush, paint the glaze (lightly) onto the top of the rolls. Bake for 20-25 minutes. 5 minutes before they're done, baste them again with the glaze. Serve hot.