Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v v n g d
* 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
* 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 green bell pepper, chopped
* 1 red bell pepper, chopped
* 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn kernels
* 1 red onion, chopped
* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
* 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 2 tablespoons white sugar or sugar substitute such as Splenda
* 1 tablespoon salt
* 1 clove crushed garlic
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
* 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
* 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
* 1 dash hot pepper sauce
* 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1. In a large bowl, combine beans, bell peppers, frozen corn, and red onion.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, lime juice, lemon juice, sugar, salt, garlic, cilantro, cumin, and black pepper. Season to taste with hot sauce and chili powder.
3. Pour olive oil dressing over vegetables; mix well. Chill thoroughly, and serve cold.
Note: I use Splenda instead of sugar
Note: The cannellini beans are sometimes found in gourmet section of grocery store. They are just white kidney beans. You can use some other kind of bean to substitute. I have used other shades of kidsney, Great Northern and garbanzo. Also the different color peppers are just for looks, but it does make for a good presentation.
But this is one great recipe that can be kept in the fridge and munched on at your leasure! Enjoy!