Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
2 1/2 lb waxy potatoes (waxy means somethign like red bliss, not like baked)
1 packet Goya Sazon Picante Mild
1 roasted jalapeno, remove seeds and pureed
1 stick of butter (cut into 1/4 inch slices)
1/4 - 1/2 cup of milk (room temp)
Salt and Pepper (Sea salt and fresh ground pepper is best)
- Start a large pot of water to boil, add 1/4 tsp salt
- Thoroughly wash, clean, peel and dice potatoes.
- Place potatoes in boiling water bring back to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer 12-15 mins until fork tender (remove a pice of potatoe and see if it crishes ieasly under a fork)
- Remove the pan from the heat and drain, return to pan
- Add butter and Jalapenos (either goya powder or roasted jalapeno puree), using a hand masher (not an electric anything) mash into potatoes.
- Add 1/4 cup of milk and mix until combined fully.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
1. Though it might taste better to use frsh jalapeno instead of the powder, I can ssure you the powder tastes very good and is a lot easier.. up to you.
2. Milk should be no healthier than 1% fat
3. Add up to an additional 1/4cup of milk at the end if you think the mixture is to dry
4. 1 packet of seasoing should give it a good flavor w/o to much of a kick. 2 is even better but your wife may scrunch her nose at it.
5. Goya Sazon Picante is a a mild Jalapeño & Chipotle Seasoning that comes in a thin 3x5ish box. Each box contain multiple packets. Most grocery stores carry Goya products in the "ethnic" sections. If you can;t find this one you can try another similar seasoing or just do the roasted jalapeno pepper.