Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
3 T cornstarch 6 c milk
2 1/3 c sugar 4 large or 5 small eggs
3/4 t salt 1 (13 oz) can evaporated milk
1 pt. whipping cream 3 1/2 T pure vanilla extract
1) Mix cornstarch with 1/2 c milk.
2) Add 1 1/2 c milk and cook in double boiler until thick and smooth, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. 3) Blend sugar, eggs, salt, and evaporated milk with an electric mixer.
4) Add hot cornstarch mixture and beat well.
5) Refrigerate overnight.
6) Add whipping cream, remaining milk, and vanilla.
7) Pour into gallon freezer can.
8) Pack freezer with layers of ice and rock salt and crank until frozen.
Makes one gallon.