Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour
Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
â€¢ 10 cups chicken stock
â€¢ 1/2 cup olive oil
â€¢ 2 brown onion, finely chopped
â€¢ 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
â€¢ 400g mixed mushrooms, sliced (we used button, oyster and shiitake)
â€¢ 4 cups arborio rice
â€¢ 1 cup dry white wine
â€¢ 4 large chicken breast fillets, trimmed
â€¢ 2 lemon, rind finely grated
â€¢ 100g cheese (prefer pecorino), grated
â€¢ 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
1. Bring stock to the boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and mushrooms. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until tender. Add rice. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add wine and cook for 2 minutes or until wine evaporates.
3. Reduce heat to low. Add stock, 1 ladle at a time. Stir with a wooden spoon until all liquid has been absorbed. Repeat with remaining stock (see note).
4. Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add chicken. Cook for 4 minutes each side or until just cooked through. Remove to a board. Thinly slice.
5. Add chicken and lemon rind to rice mixture with the last ladle of stock. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat. Add pecorino and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine (rice should be tender but firm in the centre). Spoon into bowls. Serve.
Notes & tips
â€¢ To reheat, spoon into microwave-safe bowls. Drizzle with 1/4 cup stock. Cover with damp paper towel. Microwave on MEDIUM (50%) for 4 minutes or until hot.
â€¢ The process of stirring in stock takes about 20 minutes. Adding more than 1 ladle of stock at a time will cause liquid to be absorbed too quickly, leaving the rice only partially cooked.