Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 30
Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Serves: A lot!
Dietary guidance: v v n g d
3 tablespoon canola oil
3 onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
several pinches cayenne pepper
2 jalepeno peppers, sliced
3 tablespoons tomato paste
3 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
3 (19 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 (19 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2-3 cans of corn kernels
5 tablespoons coriander
chili powder to taste (I use quite a bit, and stir it in until the flavour is right)
1. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot; fry the onion, jalepenos, garlic, celery, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne until softened.
2. Add the tomato paste and stir.
3. Add the diced tomatoes and black beans; bring to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring often, for about 30 minutes.
5. Stir in the corn and cook for about 4 minutes.
6. Stir in the coriander and chili powder.