Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v v n g d
6-7 avocados (find 3 that are very soft and a few that are firmer for the chunks)
3-4 Tbsp olive oil
juice of 2 limes
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp cumin (to taste)
1-2 tsp salt (to taste)
1/2 Tbsp chili powder (to taste)
cayenne 1/8-1/2 tsp (to taste- I like mine spicier)
4-5 large cloves garlic, pressed
cilantro- 1 bunch, chopped
1/2 small jicama, diced small
1/2 red onion, diced fine
2-3 Roma or heirloom tomatoes, skinned and chopped
1 mango, diced small
optional: 1 serrano pepper, diced tiny
1. Mash the 3 soft avocados in bowl with the olive oil. The oil will keep your guac from turning black.
2. Add the juice of the limes and the balsamic vinegar.
3. Add spices and salt- start conservatively and then add more at the end if you feel the guac calls for it.
4. Press garlic cloves into bowl and mix.
5. Add chopped cilantro, red onion, jicama, tomato and mango. If desired, a chopped serrano or jalapeno pepper can be added at this stage.
6. Dice remaining avocados and add last so they stay chunky.
7. Mix well and serve with plain corn tortilla chips to best display the flavor of your guac!