Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 11-13 mins
Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v
NOTE: The recipe below only makes 8 cookies or 4 ice cream sandwiches...I triple it to make 1 dozen units.
* 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
* 1/4 cup granulated sugar
* 2 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
* 1 large egg yolk
* 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
* 3 tablespoons sanding sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
* 1 pint butter-pecan ice cream, softened slightly
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter, granulated sugar, and molasses until fluffy. Beat in yolk. Whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and spices in a small bowl. Fold into butter mixture 1/3 at a time. Roll dough into 1 1/2-inch balls, spacing them 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Press to form 3-inch disks. Sprinkle with sanding sugar if desired. Bake, rotating halfway through, until golden around edges, 11 to 13 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack, and let cool.
2. Scoop ice cream onto cookies and top each with a second cookie. Wrap each ice cream cookie in parchment or waxed paper and secure with tape. Freeze until firm. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.