Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v n d
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
* 1 large egg
* 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
* 1 1/2 cups (about 9 ounces) mixed milk- and semisweet chocolate chips
* 2 pints vanilla ice cream
FOR CARMEL SAUCE
* 1 cup sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 cup water
* 1/2 cup heavy cream
* 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until mixture is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla; mix until they are fully incorporated. Add flour mixture, and beat until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
2. Transfer dough to a 10-inch ovenproof skillet, and press to flatten, covering bottom of pan. Bake until edges are brown and top is golden, 40 to 45 minutes. Don't overbake; it will continue to cook a few minutes out of the oven.
3. Transfer to a wire rack to cool, 15 to 20 minutes. Cut into 8 wedges. Serve warm; top each wedge with a scoop of ice cream and some caramel sauce.
FOR CARAMEL SAUCE
1. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, salt, and the water. Cook over medium heat until sugar is a medium amber color (use strips of paper to test: the paler color is undercooked; the amber hue is just right), about 7 minutes; wash sides of pan with a pastry brush dipped in water to prevent crystals from forming. Remove from heat.
2. Stir in heavy cream; add butter, and stir until combined. Let cool to room temperature; stir in vanilla. Sauce can be stored in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 2 weeks. Reheat gently; serve at room temperature.