Preparation time: 10
Cooking time: 45
Dietary guidance: v v
1 large can of tomatoes - 600g/20 fl oz.
60 ml/2 fl oz of oil
1 large onion
1 clove garlic
2 green chillies
2 inch fresh ginger (1 teaspoon dried ground)
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon chilli powder
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
1.5 teaspoons salt
1. Drain juice from can of tomatoes and reserve it. Cut the tomatoes in half.
2. Heat the oil/margarine or oil in a large saucepan.
3. Peel and slice the onion and garlic. Top and tail the chillis and cut lengthways. Peel and slice the ginger thinly.
4. Fry onion and garlic, until soft.
5. Add mustard seeds.
6. Add all the rest of the spices except the salt. Cook for 2 mins.
7. Add tomatoes. Bring to boil and add sufficient tomato juice to make a moist curry.
8. Sprinkle in the salt and the coconut.
9. Cover pan and simmer for 30 mins (Fresh tomatoes 45 mins)
10. Keep an eye on the consistency, adding more juice if required
Serve with rice.