Preparation time: 30 min
Cooking time: 30 min
8 pieces of chicken (I like thighs with skin but it is your choice)
8 strips of bacon chopped
1 onion diced
2 tbsp garlic
1/4 cup of flour
1 tbsp sage
1 tbsp rosemary
1 tbsp oregano
salt and pepper
1 cup of mushrooms sliced
1 1/2 cups of red win
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 cup of chicken stock
1) Heat olive oil in a pan. Add bacon, garlic and onions. Cook until onions are translucent.
2) While onion mix is cooking, mix flour, sage, rosemary, oregano and salt and pepper. Dredge chicken.
3) Brown the chicken with onions and bacon mix.
When chicken is brown on both sides, add wine, tomatoes, mushrooms, and chicken stock.
4) Cover and cook until chicken is done. (depends on type of chicken, shorter time for boneless 15 min, longer for bone in 30 minutes)
1) If you like your sauces a little thicker, mix 2tbsp of butter with 1 tbsp flour and a bit of seasonings used in recipe. Heat a skillet to medium and heat the flour mixture. It will thicken quickly so stir continuously. When the mix turns a medium yellowish color, turn up the heat on your coq au vin, when it is boiling, slowly stir in your flour/butter mixture. You might not have to mix it all into the coq au vin, it is all a matter of taste and thickness preference.
2) I like to serve it with mashed potatoes.