Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
8 sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
4 thick bacon rashers
130 grams butter
2 onions roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 ¾ cups risotto rice
300ml dry white wine
4 cups vegetable stock
2/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
3 tbsp mixed chopped fresh chives and flat leaf parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1. Drain the sun-dried tomatoes and reserve the oil. Chop the tomatoes and set aside.
2. Cut the bacon into 2.5cm pieces. Heat the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes in a large pan and fry the bacon, onion and garlic until they are soft and taking on colour.
3. Stir in the rice and mix through thoroughly. Add half the wine and the stock and allow the liquid to be absorbed by the rice. Add the rest and cook until the rice is tender.
4. The rice should take about 25-30 minutes to cook and it will turn thick and creamy. The rice should be tender but not sticky.
5. Stir in the parmesan, tomatoes, half the herbs and butter. Sprinkle with the remaining herbs.
6. Taste the rice before adding any further salt as the bacon and tomatoes can be quite salty. Sprinkle the rest of the herbs over the top and serve.