Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Dietary guidance: v v
* 2 tbsp tamarind paste
* 3/4 c boiling water
* 3 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
* 1 tbsp rice vinegar
* 3 tbsp sugar
* 3/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 shallot, chopped
* 1 - 2 tbsp peanut oil
* 2 servings of rice noodles (soba work well in a pinch, and linguine in a real pinch) - cooked al dente.
* Vegetables, blanched (I usually use broccoli and julienned carrots)
* Asian bean sprouts
* Tofu (extra firm, drained and patted dry)
* Fresh lime juice (optional)
* Ground peanuts (optional)
* Fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
1) Soak or cook your noodles as per the instructions
2) Blanch your veggies so they are nearly ready.
3) Mix up the first 8 ingredients in a separate bowl.
4) In a skillet heat the oil over medium flame. Fry up the tofu until browned.
5) Add the noodles and vegetables (minus the sprouts), and stir everything up.
6) Add the sauce and cook until the sauce is reduced, usually less than 5 minutes.
7) Add the sprouts, mix them in, transfer to two bowls and top with lime juice, cilantro and peanuts. Serve hot!