Difficulty: Medium - experience needed
Dietary guidance: v
8 cups popped corn (1/2 cup un-popped)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1 tsp white vinegar
3/4 cup butter
2 drops food coloring
1. Place the popped corn in a very large bowl.
2. In a 2-quart saucepan combine the granulated and brown sugar, corn syrup, water, vinegar, and salt.
3. Heat until boiling on medium-high heat, stirring frequently until the mixture reaches 260 degrees Fahrenheit on a candy thermometer.
4. Reduce heat to low and stir in butter and food coloring until melted.
5. Carefully pour the syrup in a thin stream over the corn in the very large bowl stirring with a long-handled, wooden spoon until the corn is well coated.
6. Let cool slightly until you can work the corn with your hands. Butter your hands and shape the mixture into 3-inch balls and place on waxed paper.