Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
* 2 Tablespoons Sugar
* 2 Tablespoons Japanese Sake (or Other Light, Dry White Wine)
* 1-½ Tablespoon Mirin (Japanese Sweet Rice Wine)
* ¼ cups Miso Paste (red, White Or Regular)
* 2 teaspoons Grated Fresh Ginger (use Rasp Grater)
* 3 Tablespoons Cooking Oil, Divided
* 8 ounces, weight Dried Soba Noodles
* 24 spears Asparagus, Ends Trimmed Off
* 16 pieces Large Sea Scallops
* Salt And Pepper
1. In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, sake, mirin, miso, grated ginger and only 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain, shock under cold water and drain again. Divide noodles into 4 bowls.
3. Heat a frying or grill pan over medium high heat until hot. Brush the asparagus and the sea scallops with oil with the remaining cooking oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Grill the asparagus until just tender, about 3-5 minutes total, rolling them around the pan to heat them evenly. Divide asparagus amongst the bowls.
4. Grill the scallops in the same frying pan until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Divide scallops among the servings of noodles and spoon some miso glaze in each bowl.