Difficulty: Medium - experience needed
4 (1 oz) squares German sweet chocolate
1/2 cup water
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk or regular milk
4 egg whites
12 fluid oz evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup butter
4 egg yolks
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 (8 oz) package flaked coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking pan. Set aside.
2. Microwave chocolate and water on high for 1 1/2 minutes to 2 minutes. Stir halfway through. Make sure all is melted and smooth.
3. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
4. In large mixing bowl, blend 1 cup butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add 4 egg yolks one at a time beating well after each addition.
5. Stir in chocolate and 1 tsp vanilla. Mix well.
6. Add flour mixture and milk. Blend until smooth.
7. In separate bowl, beat egg whites on high until soft peaks form. Gently fold into batter.
8. Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
9. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
10. Cool completely.
11. While cake is cooling, prepare frosting.
1. Combine milk, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 3/4 cup butter, 4 egg yolks and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla in large saucepan.
2. Cook and stir on medium heat for about 12 minutes or until thick and golden brown.
3. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut.
4. Cool to room temperature and spread onto cake.