Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v n d
1 c mint leaves, washed and firmly packed (reserve 2 sprigs for garnish)
2 T sugar (or less, to taste); ultrafine supposedly works better
1/6 c rum
1/2 c lime juice (reserve 2 wedges for garnish)
1 c crushed ice
1 c club soda or seltzer
1. In a very large mortar (or with cocktail muddler, or steep-sided bowl and sturdy wooden spoon), crush the mint and sugar together until the mint leaves release their oils and the sugar is thoroughly worked in.
2. Add the rum and continue mushing to release the oils and mix in the sugar.
3. Strain the minty paste through a sieve into a bowl.
4. Strain lime juice through the minty mash in sieve into bowl, and use the back of a spoon to press as much liquid out of the mash. Discard the minty mash.
5. Add ice, club soda to taste, garnish, and serve.