4 lbs skinless chicken, fat removed, cut in pieces
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons canola oil
3 garlic cloves
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup orange juice
1 cup water
salt and pepper
1 pinch saffron
2 tablespoons raisins
1 tablespoon capers
1/2 cup almonds, unsalted, blanched, coarsely chopped
2 valencia oranges, peeled and sliced
1. Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, cinnamon, and cloves;
brown over moderately high heat in the oil.
2. Add the whole garlic and chopped onion. Continue cooking until
chicken is well browned but not crusted.
3. Add the orange juice, water, saffron, raisins, and capers.
4. Cover and cook slowly, over medium low heat, until chicken is
tender for about 40 minutes.
5. Add almonds 5 minutes before serving. Remove garlic.
6. Decorate with the orange slices.