Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v v n d
10 oz plain flour (sifted)
8 oz medium oatmeal
8 oz caster sugar
1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
2 teaspoons ginger powder
8 oz margarine
9 fluid oz cold water
13 oz treacle (I use around 4 oz black treacle and 9 oz golden syrup)
1. Preheat oven to 165 C / 325 F / Gas Mark 3
2. Grease a flat baking tin
3. Put all the dry ingredients together in a bowl
4. Measure treacle directly into a pan (otherwise very messy) and add margarine and water. Heat gently until all melted together.
5. Pour the treacle mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix well - get all the lumps out.
6. Pour the mixture into your baking tin. Note - it is very liquid at the point.
7. Bake near the top of the oven for 1 to 1.5 hours. (Fan assisted oven seems to be about 1 hour)