Preparation time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Difficulty: Medium - experience needed
Date & Nut Filling:
2.5 chopped dates
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 cup walnuts
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup shortening
2 c brown sugar
4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 baking soda
1/2 butter milk
The Date & Nut Filling:
1. Take chopped dates, sugar, water cook 10 min until thick then set asiide to cool.
2. Add chopped walnuts to the date mixture and mix well.
3. Set date & nut mixture aside for now.
1. Cream together brown sugar and shortening.
2, Add eggs, vanilla, salt, soda, and milk and mix well.
3. Add flour slowly at low speed until all flour in incorporated.
4. Divide the dough into 3 equal parts.
Assembly & Baking:
1. Roll out one of the parts into a 1/4" thick square sheet.
2. Spread 1/3 of the date & nut mixture on top of dough.
3. Roll up sheet to form a roll.
4. Repeat for each part to make a total of 3 rolls.
5. Chill rolls overnight in refrigerator.
6. Cut a roll into 1/4" slices with a sharp knife and place on to baking parchment and cookie sheet allowing enough room between cookies.
7. Bake 350F appx 10 min or until brown.
8. Let cool slighlty.
9. Remove cookies carefully and let cool completely on wax paper covered news paper.
10. Repeat for the remaining rolls.