Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v n
1 garlic clove, halved crosswise
1 1/2 cups dry white wine (Fendant is suggested but I used Chardonnay)
2 Tablespoon cornstarch
4 teaspoons kirsch (cherry brandy)
1/2 IBS emmenthaler cheese, coarsely grated (type of swiss cheese)
1/2 IBS gruyere, coarsely grated (type of swiss cheese)
Fresh veggies for dipping (carrots, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.)
French bread for dipping
1. Rub inside of a heavy pot w/ cut sides of garlic, then discard garlic.
2. Add wine to pot and bring to a simmer over moderate heat.
3. Stir together cornstarch and kirch in a cup.
4. Gradually add cheese to pot and cook, stirring constantly in a zigzag pattern (not a circular motion to prevent from balling up), until cheese is just melted and creamy (do not let boil).
5. Stir cornstarch mixture again and stir into fondue.
6. Bring fondue to a simmer and cook, stirring, until thickened, 8-10 minutes.
7. Transfer to fondue pot or small crock pot and keep hot to avoid clumping but avoid over heating. Stir periodically to avoid burning.