Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour
Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v v n d
1 onion, sliced
300g packet Quorn steak strips
142ml (¼ pint) rich onion gravy
1 tsp rice flour (or plain flour)
225ml (8 fl oz) red wine
1 clove garlic, chopped
5 sprigs of thyme (or 2 tsp dried thyme)
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
100g (4 oz) dark-gilled mushrooms, roughly chopped
170g (6 oz) shallots, peeled and halved
1. Pre-heat the oven to 140°C/275°F/gas mark 1.
2. Heat the olive oil in a casserole dish on the hob and brown the onion and quorn steak strips.
3. Add the gravy for extra liquid. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and gradually add the red wine. Add the garlic, thyme, bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.
4. Cover and transfer to the oven for 30 minutes.
5. Shortly before the end of the cooking time, heat some more olive oil in a frying pan and colour the shallots.
6. Take the casserole dish out of the oven and place over a low heat on the hob. Add the shallots. Colour the mushrooms briefly in the same frying pan used for the shallots. Add the mushrooms to the casserole and stir. If there doesn't look like there is enough liquid, add more wine. Cover and transfer back to the oven for another 30 minutes.
7. Serve with rice.