Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v v n d
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic
300g packet of Quorn mince
250 ml (8½ fl oz) red wine
400g (14 oz) tin of chopped tomatoes
1½ tbsp tomato purée
1 red chilli, thinly sliced or 2 tsp chilli powder
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
1 cinnamon stick
good shake of vegetarian Worcester sauce
1 tsp onion gravy granules
salt and pepper
400g tin of red kidney beans, drained
1. Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion until softened. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute.
2. Increase the heat and add the mince. Fry for 2 minutes. Pour in the red wine and cook for a further 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the tinned tomatoes, tomato purée, chilli, cumin, coriander, Worcester sauce and gravy granules. Add the cinnamon stick and season well with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over a gentle heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the red kidney beans and cook uncovered for a further 10 minutes.
5. Serve with rice or jacket potatoes.