Preparation time: 24 minutes
Difficulty: Medium - experience needed
* 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
* 1-1/2 cups sugar
* 3 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup baking cocoa
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup water
* 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed, drained, squeezed dry and finely chopped
* 2/3 cup flaked coconut
* 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
* FILLING/FROSTING: shopping list
* 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
* 2/3 cup mayonnaise*
* 2/3 cup flaked coconut, divided
* 2/3 cup chopped pecans, divided
How to make it
* In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
* Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
* Beat in vanilla.
* Combine dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water.
* Fold in sauerkraut, coconut and pecans.
* Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking
* Bake at 350 º for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
* center comes out clean.
* Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire
* racks; cool completely.
* In a bowl, combine melted chocolate and mayonnaise.
* Set aside 1-1/4 cups for frosting.
* To the remaining chocolate mixture, add half of the coconut and pecans; spread between cake layers.
* Spread reserved chocolate mixture over top and sides of cake. Combine remaining coconut and pecans; press onto sides of cake.
* Store in the refrigerator.