Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
flour, 3.5 c.
yeast, 2 tsp
kosher salt, 2 tsp (use 1 tsp)
sugar, 1 tbsp
cold margarine, 2 tbsp
soy/almond milk, 1 c. or more
1. Combine flour, yeast, salt, sugar, margarine in food processor. Pulse until margarine is cut into flour. Slowly add 3/4 c. milk while running.
2. Process 30 sec, adding milk as needed to make moist ball.
3. Shape into large ball, cover with plastic, let rise 1-2 hrs to double.
4. Punch down, let rise, covered, about 20 min. (or not)
5. Divide into 3 balls, roll into ropes, braid on lightly greased baking sheet.
Cover and let rise 1 hour.
6. Preheat oven to 350 F. Set a rack in middle. Brush loaves with melted margarine. Bake to golden, 30-35 min, and turn out immediately onto cooling racks.