Preparation time: 30 mins or less
Cooking time: 20 mins
Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v v g d
1 Cup walnuts (& some halves for gar
¼ Cup chopped parsley
1 Clove garlic
½ Cup cooked lentils
4 tsp. balsamic vinegar, divided
1 tsp. dried sage
4 medium portabella mushrooms (or 14-16 button mushrooms)
1 tsp. Olive oil
1 Tbs. Safflower or Coconut oil
½ cup veggie broth
1. Purée 1 cup walnuts with parsley and garlic in food processor until thick and pasty. Add lentils, 2 tsp. vinegar, sage, olive oil and a few drops of sesame oil (no more than â…› of tsp â€“ that stuff is strong!); purée until smooth. Taste & season with salt/pepper if desired.
2. Fill each mushroom cap with 2-3 Tbs. walnut mixture.
3. Heat safflower or coconut oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Add mushrooms (cap side down & cook about 5 minutes or until mushrooms begin to release their juices & brown on bottom, shaking pan occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, heat oven to broil.
5. Add mushrooms to baking sheet reserving any liquid left in pan. Put mushrooms under broiler for 3-5 minutes â€“ SET YOUR TIMER & KEEP AN EYE ON IT!!
6. While the â€˜shrooms are getting brown & delicious, add veggie broth to pan with reserved liquid. Simmer 10-15 minutes until sauce thickens slightly. Add remaining 2 tsp. vinegar to pan; simmer 1-2 minutes more. Add a little cornstarch slurry (1 Tbs. cornstarch/2 Tbs. water) if you want the sauce a bit thicker.
7. Plate mushrooms, drizzle sauce, garnish with a walnut or two & enjoy!
Delicious as a side or as a main dish served over quinoa or wild rice!