Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 45 min
Difficulty: Medium - experience needed
2 lb. of spinach
1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped spring onions
8 oz. Greek Feta cheese* crumbled\
¼ evaporated milk
1 teaspoon fresh dill chopped
4 eggs lightly beaten
salt and pepper to taste
12 sheets FRESH phylo dough*
1. Wash spinach well, cut off roots.
2. Shred coarsely and place in a colander over boiling water
3. Cover and steam to wilt spinach. Drain off all moisture.
4. Mix chesses, milk, herbs, eggs, and season to taste.
5. Lightly oil an oven dish. Line dish with3 sheets
of phylo brushing each sheet with melted butter.
6. Add spinach filling and spread evenly.
7. Moisten edges of top layer of phyllo
8. Place 3 sheets of phylo with brushing with butter
Add more spinach filling evenly.
9. Place 4 sheets of phylo over the mix and brush each with the
melted butter. Trim phyllo, leaving enough to tuck
into sides of pie.
10. Bake in a moderate hot oven for 45 minutes.
11. Remove from oven and let it stand for 5 minutes
* Available at Nabeel's International Market in Homewood, AL
Watch a video of this recipe being prepared on YouTube: