Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup refined white sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon reserved bacon fat
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup cocktail peanuts
1 pound of standard bacon
1. Liberally grease a large baking sheet.
2. Fry the bacon. You want it crisp, but not too crisp. Chop or tear the bacon into 1/4 to 1/2 inch bits.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar, the white sugar, the corn syrup and water over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves and the syrup comes to a boil
4. Attach a candy thermometer to the pan, increase the heat to medium high, and cook, without stirring, until the mixture reaches 290 degrees. Immediately turn off the heat.
5. Stir in the bacon fat, vanilla, baking soda and salt and quickly stir to distribute.
6. Quickly add peanuts and bacon bits and mix to coat.
7. Immediately pour the hot mixture onto a prepared baking sheet. Use a silicone spoon or spatula to spread mixture as thinly as possible. (If you want that a thinner and lighter brittle, cut the amount of peanuts and bacon you add and leave the heat on when you stir in all the ingredients)
8. Cool 10-20 minutes until hard, before breaking into pieces.