Preparation time: 15 Minutes
Cooking time: 25 Minutes
Difficulty: Medium - experience needed
2 tbsp olive oil
250 g chorizo sausages, thinly sliced
1 large onion, chopped
4 large cloves garlic, grated
2 cans chopped tomatoes, or 900g peeled fresh tomatoes, chopped
900 ml chicken stock
2 tbsp chopped herbs, eg. rosemary, thyme and parsley
250 g pasta, such as orzo or fusilli
150 g shredded spinach, or whole baby spinach leaves
finely grated parmesan
small bowl pesto
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the chorizo, and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Add the chopped onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook gently over a low heat for 7-8 minutes, until soft.
3. Add the tomatoes, stock and herbs, check the seasoning again and if necessary season with salt, pepper and a good pinch of sugar.
4. Simmer with the lid on for a further 10 minutes or until soft.
5. Add the uncooked pasta and continue to simmer for another 6-10 minutes stirring regularly or until the pasta is cooked.
6. When you are ready to serve, add the spinach and boil for 1 minute or until the spinach is wilted. Taste and if necessary add seasoning.
7. To serve: ladle the hot chunky soup into 6 warm bowls and sprinkle with some finely grated Parmesan and a drizzle of pesto.