Preparation time: 10min
Cooking time: 20min
Difficulty: Medium - experience needed
Dietary guidance: v n
Thick buttermilk/curd (Yogurt) - 2 cups
Channa Dal - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Ginger - a small piece
Toor Dal - 1 tsp
Green Chillies - 4
Garlic - 2 to 3 cloves
Coconut grated-3 - 4tsp
Rice - 1tsp
Salt - to taste
Any one of the vegetables (Yam, Okra, White Pumpkin, Eggplant) chopped- 1/2 cup
Coconut oil/cooking oil- 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves- a few
Red Chillies- 1
Asafoetida- a pinch
* Soak rice and the Toor Dal together for 15 to 20 minutes.
* Add turmeric powder to buttermilk/curd and beat well and keep it aside.
* Grind soaked rice and Dal with coconut, garlic, ginger, green Chillies to a fine paste.
* Half boil the vegetables in a pan then add the ground paste and salt to it.
* Simmer the flame and add little water to it so that the veggies are cooked fully and the raw smell of the paste goes off. Add the buttermilk/ curd to it.
* Heat coconut oil in a frying pan and add the ingredients for tempering one by one and fry for a minute.
* Pour the mixture to the pan and mix well.
* Serve hot with rice or Adai thosai or thosai.