Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 40 - 45 mins
Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Serves: 6 - 8 slices
Dietary guidance: v n
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tablespoon brandy (optional)
1 cup flour
1.5 cups milk
1 tin stoned black cherries (or 200g fresh stoned cherries)
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
Grease an oval ovenproof dish about 12 inches long.
1) Whisk the eggs and half a cup of the sugar.
Add the vanilla extract to the egg mixture.
Stir in the brandy and flour.
Whisk in the milk to form a smooth batter.
2) In a separate bowl, toss the cherries with the remaining sugar.
3) Scatter the cherries in the ovenproof dish.
Pour the batter over the cherries and place in the oven.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the clafoutis is set (it will wobble and appear sponge-y on top).
4) Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Serve the clafoutis warm, dredged with icing sugar, with a dollop of yoghurt.
- Almonds can be added - substitute half the flour for ground almonds and/or top the batter in the pan with slivered almonds.
- Mixing the cherries with the sugar means that they keep their colour in the oven, and the colour doesn't leech out into the mixture.
- Skimmed, semi or whole milk can be used.
- Other fruit could be used (eg: blackberries, raspberries).