Dietary guidance: v
2 cups water
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/8 teaspoon coarsely crumbled saffron threads
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups chopped onions
1 1/2 lbs cauliflower, cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces
3/4 cup half-and-half
thinly sliced fresh chives
1. Combine 2 cups water and 2 cups low-salt chicken broth in
2. Bring mixture just to simmer.
3. Remove from heat.
4. Add saffron threads.
5. Cover and steep 20 minutes.
6. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy medium pot over medium-low
7. Add chopped onions and sautÃ© until very tender but not brown,
about 10 minutes.
8. Add cauliflower pieces; stir to coat.
9. Add saffron broth.
10. Bring to simmer over high heat.
11. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until cauliflower pieces are
tender, about 20 minutes.
12. Working in batches, puree cauliflower mixture in food
processor until smooth.
13. Transfer cauliflower puree to large saucepan.
14. Stir in half and half and bring to simmer.
15. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
16. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to
simmer before serving.) Ladle soup into bowls.
17. Garnish with sliced fresh chives and serve