Preparation time: 1hr
Cooking time: 30mins
Dietary guidance: v
* Potatoes - 500gm
* Corriander leaves, Salt & Pepper to taste
* tiny bit of sesame oil
Filling (use your favourites for this), some fillings I've tried that works well:
150gm of filling is about right, over filling it may ruin the stickiness of the potatoes.
* ham (vegetarian variety for me)
* peas & corn
* diced carrots
* mince should work well too
* Beaten Egg
1. Peel and cut up potatoes into quarters
2. Steam potatoes - this step is important, make sure you steam rather than boil. Boiling introduces more moisture into the potatoes which you don't need when you're deep frying
3. Once the potatoes are soft (probably in around 40 minutes) put them into a bowl and mash them up. Season with chopped corriander leaves, 1-2 tsp salt, some black pepper, bit of sesame oil to taste.
4. Mix in your fillings, make sure they are diced finely.
5. Once mixed thoroughly, leave to cool slightly (otherwise your hands might get burned in the next step)
6. Once cool, use a spoon to scoop up some of the mixture, roll into a ball with your hands and flatten slightly to about 1cm in thickness. Make sure there are no cracks in the croquette.
7. Coat the croquette with some cornstarch, pad off the excess cornstarch
8. Dip into the beaten egg
9. Coat with breadcrumbs
10. Prepare a wok with oil to about 1.5 - 2 cm depth for deep frying
11. Heat up wok until hot, hot, hot
12. Slide in croquette one by one, make sure the oil surrounds each croquette before you drop the next one.
Serve with some nice salad. Enjoy!