Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Serves: 8 to 10 people
1 clove garlic
2 1/2 cups dry white Rhine, Chablis or Riesling wine
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 lb. Swiss cheese, grated
1/2 lb. Cheddar cheese, grated
3 Tablespoons flour
3 Tablespoons kirsch
Freshly ground nutmeg
1 loaf Italian or French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
1. Rub an enameled or stainless steel pan with garlic clove. Heat wine to a slow simmer (just under boiling). Add lemon juice.
2. Combine cheeses and flour and gradually stir in. Using a figure-8 motion, stir constantly until cheese is melted.
3. Pour into lightly greased Crock-Pot. Add kirsch; stir well. Sprinkle with nutmeg, pepper and paprika.
4. Cover and cook on High setting for 30 minutes, then turn to Low setting for 2 to 5 hours. Keep on Low setting while serving.
5. Using fondue forks, dip bread cubes into fondue.