Difficulty: Medium - experience needed
Dietary guidance: n g d
12 zucchini flowers, stamens removed
4 ocean trout fillets (about 200gm ea), pin-boned, skin on
2T sea salt flakes
2T olive oil
400gm cleaned calamari tubes (about 1kg uncleaned), thinly sliced
600gm heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley, coarsely torn
Lemon wedges to serve
90ml extra-virgin olive oil
30ml lemon juice
2T baby capers, rinsed
2 golden shallots, finely chopped
1. Blanch zucchini flowers until bright green (1-2mins). Drain & refresh, drain on absorbent paper, halve lengthways & set aside.
2. For caper dressing, whisk ingredients in a bowl to combine, season to taste, set aside.
3. Place trout on a tray skin-side up & scatter with sea salt flakes. Set aside for salt to absorb moisture (3-4mins). Brush off excess salt & pat dry with absorbent paper.
4. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, cook fish skin-side down, pressing gently with a spatula to stop fish from curling, until crisp (3-4mins). Turn & cook until cooked to your liking (2mins for medium rare). Transfer to a tray & keep warm.
5. Wipe pan with absorbent paper, then heat remaining oil over high heat. Add calamari, season to taste & stir occasionally until just cooked through & tender (1-2mins). Transfer to a bowl with sliced zucchini flowers, tomato & parsley, drizzle over caper dressing (reserve a little to serve) & toss to combine. Divide among serving plates, top with trout, spoon over remaining dressing & serve hot with lemon wedges.