Preparation time: 15min
Cooking time: 1hr 20min
Serves: 2 to 3
4 Bone-in Center Cut Pork Chops
2-3 Links of Smoked Sausage
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil will sub fine.
1/2 cup white flour (sorry kids, whole wheat just won't thicken right)
4 Cups Chicken Broth (water will substitute but you will sacrifice taste)
1 Cup Water
1 Small Onion
4 Cloves Chopped Garlic (about a tablespoon)
1 Bay leaf
2-3 Russet Potatoes (depending on how hungry u are)
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt (a little less if using table salt)
5-6 grinds or 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
First prep work.
Chop the onions, and set aside. You can chop the garlic too but keep it separate from the onions for now.
1. In a Dutch oven or large saute pan with lid, heat the olive oil on medium high heat until you first see smoke. Sear the Pork Chops 1 min to 1:30 on each side or until they develop a nice golden crust.
2. Take the chops out of the pan and set aside. Turn that heat down to medium and grab your flour(that you've already measured and have ready right?) and dump it in the pot. What were doing here is making a roux which is the base for the sauce...one yummy sauce. So with a whisk or spatula, mix the flour into the olive oil until it turns a light brown. If its getting brown too quickly lower the heat. When the roux is a nice light brown color add the chopped onions, and cook until they soften.
3. If you haven't already chopped the garlic now is the time to do so, so when the onions are soft, dump in the garlic and cook for about 30 secs. We don't want to burn the garlic....yuck. Quickly add the bay leaf, broth, and water salt n black pepper. Bring to a boil, toss in the chops. Cover, turn the heat to low and braise that bitch for 45 minutes.
4. In the meantime you can peel and chop the potatoes. Let them sit in water if you don't use them in the next 15 minutes since they'll turn brown. You should prolly cut the sausage into about 3/4 inch chunks also. Now after 45 minutes are up, add the potatoes and the cut up sausage and cover and cook for 30 more minutes.
5. Now you have a yummy ass dinner. Taste the sauce and add more salt n pepper to taste. If the sauce is to watery you can cook it down to your desired thickness but beware. It will thicken as it cools so don't let it get to thick on yourself....unless u like thick. :p