Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v v d
1 (14-ounce) package water-packed firm tofu, drained
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/4 cups (3-inch) matchstick-cut carrot
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 (12-ounce) loaf French bread
1/2 cup fresh cilantro sprigs
2 jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced
1. Cut tofu crosswise into 8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices. Arrange tofu on several layers of paper towels. Top with several more layers of paper towels; top with a cast-iron skillet or other heavy pan. Let stand 30 minutes. Remove tofu from paper towels.
2. Combine soy sauce and ginger in a 13 x 9â€“inch baking dish. Arrange tofu slices in a single layer in soy mixture. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight, turning once.
3. Combine vinegar, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring until sugar and salt dissolve. Add carrot and next 2 ingredients (through cucumber); toss well. Let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain carrot mixture through a sieve; drain thoroughly.
4. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove tofu from marinade; discard marinade. Pat tofu slices dry with paper towels. Add tofu slices to pan; sauté 4 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden.
5. Place tofu slices on bottom half of bread; top with carrot mixture, cilantro, and jalapeño slices. Top with top half of bread. Cut loaf crosswise into 6 equal pieces.