Preparation time: 10
Cooking time: 40
Dietary guidance: v
* 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (125 ml)
* 6 oz dark chocolate, chopped (185 g)
* 3/4 cup all purpose flour (175ml)
* 1/2 cup cocoa powder (125 ml)
* 1/4 tsp salt (1 ml)
* 3 1/2 oz white chocolate, chopped (100 g)
* 3 x large eggs
* 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (5 ml)
* 1 cup packed brown sugar (250 ml)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Butter and flour an 8 x 8-inch baking pan.
3. On low heat, melt the butter and dark chocolate in a medium bowl over a medium pot of simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth. (The simmering water should not touch the bowl or else the chocolate will scorch.) Remove from heat and cool.
4. Sift flour, cocoa, and salt together into a medium bowl and set aside.
5. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment (alternatively just combine brownie batter by whisking or stirring by hand), combine cooled chocolate mixture and sugar and mix on medium speed until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time blending after each addition, until smooth. Add the vanilla and blend.
6. Pour the dry ingredients into chocolate mixture and beat on low until just blended. Add the chopped white chocolate and stir with rubber spatula until blended. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
7. Bake in oven for 30 to 40 minutes until the edges are just starting to come away from the side of the baking pan. The top of the brownie should be shiny and have a paper-thin crust. Remove from oven and let cool at room temperature in the pan. Cut and serve. Yield: 16 portions