Difficulty: Medium - experience needed
Dietary guidance: v
2tbsps castor sugar
2tbsps milk powder
400g high protein flour
100g low protein flour
2tsps instant yeast
15g dried blackcurrants/raisins
10g dried cranberries
25g toasted walnuts, chopped coarsely
1 egg for glaze
some almond flakes for topping
1. Combine flour, sugar, salt, water, butter, milk powder and yeast in a mixer to form a dough until is smooth. Add in all the dried fruits and nuts.
2. Knead lightly then divide into 3 equal portions. Roll each portion into a strip 30cm long. Lay them side by side then gather the ends of the strips together and weave into a braid. Pince the end and tuck in neatly.
3. Leave aside on a greased baking tray and cover with cling film. Let it rise for 50 minutes to 1 hour for it to double in size.
4. Brush lightly with egg wash and sprinkle with almond flakes.
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes or until cooked through when tapped on the underside.
6. Brush remaining egg wash again instantly after baking.