Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v
1 19oz (540ml) can of Black eye peas
1 19oz can of lentils
1/2 Red Onion thinly sliced
(optional) 1/4 cup crumbled old cheddar cheese (rind washed with Raspberry Beer) or crumbled blue cheese will work
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (the best quality you can get)
1 large lemon
2 tsp salt (preferably sea salt)
Fresh ground black pepper
1 ripe avocado sliced or cut into small cubes
160g dry small bow tie pasta or conchigliette (baby shell) pasta
1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley
(optional) 1 tsp minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp dried ground rosemary
2 stalks green onion (scallion) finely sliced
1. In a pot bring some water to a boil and add salt (3 tsp) and splash of olive oil
2. Boil pasta according to directions of box, drain when pasta is al-dente or firm but not soft.
3. Rinse pasta with cold water in strainer immediately - to shock the pasta and stop the cooking time, strain really well and set aside.
1. Rinse your beans and lentils under cold water to remove starch and sodium from beans.
2. Strain very well and add both to a large mixing bowl.
3. Add your sliced red onions, salt, olive oil (1/4 cup), black pepper and all other ingredients to the bowl including the crumbled cheese except lemons
4. Mix all together by folding or tossing the salad in the bowl
5. Take 1 lemon and with using a fine zester or fine cheese grater, zest only half lemon skin into the bowl with the ingredients.
6. Juice 1 lemon being careful not to include the seeds right into the bowl
7. Stir well or toss in bowl and check for seasoning, if it needs more salt add some, a little more lemon juice -then add some!