Preparation time: 2 days
Cooking time: 2-3 hours
Difficulty: Medium - experience needed
Dietary guidance: n g
Round Eye of Round Roast (various names)
Salt (1 to 1.5 tsp per pound)
It's only marked medium difficulty since you need a meat thermometer and have to pay attention to it quite carefully. Otherwise this is super-easy.
1. Salt the roast, wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate 18-24 hours.
2. Pat dry the roast, rub with 2 tsp of vegetable oil (i used olive oil) and some freshly cracked pepper. Sear in hot skillet on all sides. This took me about 3 minutes per side in a hot cast iron skillet so it was deeply brown.
3. Add to wire rack in rimmed baking sheet and put in preheated 225 degree oven. Roast until thermometer inserted into center of roast registers 115 degrees for medium-rare, 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours, or 125 degrees for medium, 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours. Since my roast was smaller and i like my meat closer to rare, I took it out at 112 degrees which took about an hour.
4. Turn oven off, leave roast in oven, without opening door, until meat-probe thermometer or instant-read thermometer inserted into center of roast registers 130 degrees for medium-rare or 140 degrees for medium, 30 to 50 minutes longer. As I said, I took it out at 125 degrees which took about 20 minutes.
5. Rest for 15 min and slice thinly. Since I dont have a carving knife, I used an electric knife which worked perfectly.