Preparation time: 30mins
Cooking time: 5mins
Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v n
300g plain flour
2 cups grated parmesan cheese
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper
1. Boil potatoes until soft enough that you can poke a knife or skewer through. Strain and leave to cool for 10 minutes. (Do not let potatoes cool down too much otherwise it'll be difficult to roll the gnocchi).
2. Put potatoes through a moullie straight ito a bowl then add the flour and egg. Start to work well with your hands. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and continue working well with your hands until it turns into a nice firm dough.
3. Make sure the mix is not too gluggy (if so - add extra flour but not too much otherwise your gnocchi will be to heavy).
4. Leave dough to rest for about 15 minutes.
5. Cut dough into 5cm slices and start to roll into long sausages (keep dusting the bench with flour to avoid gnocchi sticking).
6. Using a pastry cutter or knife cut rolls into small 2cm long rectangles and place into a floured flat container.
7. Bring large pot of hot salted water to the boil and add gnocchi in batches. Wait for them to rise to the surface, then remove with slated spoon. (Do not be tempted to stir the gnocchi in the pot to make them rise otherwise they'll stick together. They need to rise on their own and float to the top before you remove them).
8. Put in sauce of your choice.