Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v n
â€¢ 1 ½ cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter
â€¢ 1 cup sugar
â€¢ 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
â€¢ 3 cups all-purpose flour
â€¢ ¼ cup rice flour or cornstarch (Rice flour yields crisper shortbread, while that made with cornstarch is softer.)
â€¢ ¼ teaspoon salt
â€¢ 1 tsp cinnamon
â€¢ ½ tsp cayenne pepper or ground chipotle pepper
â€¢ 1 jar lime curd
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachmentâ€”or in a bowl and using a pastry cutterâ€”mix together the butter and sugar until they are just combined. Add the vanilla.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, spices and salt, then add them to the butter-and-sugar mixture. Mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together.
3. Dump onto a surface dusted with flour and bring everything together with your hands.
4. Roll shortbread into 1-inch balls and place on a cookie sheet. Flatten slightly with your palm.
5. Make a small indentation in the top of the cookie using your thumb or finger. Spoon about a 1/4 teaspoon of lime curd into the hole. Chill for 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake for about 10-12 minutes and golden on the bottoms.