Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
½ med onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 leeks, trimmed and chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 C brown lentils
3 ½ to 4 C reduced sodium vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
½ tsp dried thyme leaves
½ tsp pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
1 pound smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
1. Spray a Dutch oven with nonstick spray coating. Heat pan over medium high heat.
2. Add chopped vegetables and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are tender, about 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Stir in lentils, 3 1/2 cups stock and seasonings. Cover and heat to boiling.
4. Reduce heat to low and cook 45 to 50 minutes or until lentils are just tender. (Note: If mixture becomes too thick, stir in remaining 1/2 cup stock.)
5. Stir in sausage. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until lentils are tender.
6. Remove bay leaf before serving.