Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
1/4 cup minced shallots
2 pkgs. sliced portobello mushrooms â€” (6 oz. each) stemmed and cut in 3/4-inch pieces
1/2 lb. white mushrooms â€” stemmed and thinly sliced
1 tsp. minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp. dried â€” crushed
1 cup fat-free reduced-sodium vegetable broth
12 oz. whole wheat fettuccine or spaghetti
1 Tbsp. capers â€” rinsed and finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup minced Italian
1. In large non-stick skillet, heat 2 tbsp. of water over medium-high heat. Add shallots. Sauté until soft, 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly and adding water if needed to prevent sticking.
2. Add mushrooms. Sauté until tender and liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add rosemary and broth. Simmer until two thirds of liquid has evaporated, 5 to 8 minutes. The white mushrooms should be very soft and the portabellas still chunky.
4. Meanwhile, boil water for cooking pasta. Just after adding broth to mushrooms, add pasta to boiling water. Cook according to package directions. Drain well. Transfer pasta to serving bowl or divide among 4 dinner plates.
5. Stir capers into mushrooms. Season sauce with salt and pepper, if desired. Divide mushroom sauce over pasta. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.