Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Serves: Serves 4-6
5 T unsalted butter
2 yellow onions, peeled and chopped
4 shallots, peeled and chopped
1 leek, trimmed, washed and thinkly sliced crosswise
2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
1 large celeriac (celery root),peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
3 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
2 white turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
1-1/2 - 2 quarts chicken or vegetable stock
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
Fresh Coriander, parsley, chervil, or watercress
1. In a large stockpot, melt butter and slowly saute onions, shallots, leek and garlic until tender and soft â€“ do not brown
2. Add diced root vegetables and stock, herbs and spices. Simmer til soft, about 35 m.
3. Puree and return to saucepan. Add additional stock if needs it.
4. Add any additional seasoning.
5. Serve Hot with fresh herbs and creme fraiche
I use this a my base. I vary the veg and spices, often adding curries, cumin, cardamon and other eastern flavours. Its warm and soothing and perfect for the harvest season.
It is always worth making your own Creme Fraiche â€“ and its easy too.
I have often added curry and used this as a base for Mulligatawny Soup. Its amazing!!!!!