Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
- 180g dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1¼ cups (310ml) water
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ¾ cup (165g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 60g butter, softened chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 50g butter
- 1 cup (220g) brown sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 180ËšC (160ËšC fan-forced). Lightly grease eight (½ cup capacity) metal dariole moulds.
2. Place dates and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil over a high heat. Remove from the heat. Add bicarbonate of soda, stir until dates start to break down, set aside to cool, stirring occasionally.
3. Beat butter and sugar in a bowl using a hand beater, gradually add eggs one at a time, beat until light and fluffy.
4. Add date mixture, stir to combine. Carefully fold through sifted flour, divide mixture evenly between the eight moulds, until 2/3 full.
5. Place moulds in a baking tray, carefully pour water in tray until it comes up 1/3 of the side of the moulds. Bake in oven for 40 minutes or until golden and skewer comes out clean.
7. For the butterscotch sauce, combine butter, sugar, cream and vanilla in small saucepan over low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Bring sauce to the boil, reduce heat and cook for 5-6 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
8. To serve, invert the hot pudding onto a serving plate and top with butterscotch sauce.